The Community Engagement Academy (CEA) is an interdisciplinary professional development program designed for new UTK faculty (0-3 years) and graduate students who wish to learn the foundations of community engagement and engaged scholarship and apply knowledge to research and practice. CEA provides graduate students and early career faculty with background literature, facilitated discussion, mentoring, and presentations designed to increase their knowledge and enhance their practice of community engaged scholarship throughout Knoxville and East Tennessee by creating new partnerships or building upon existing ones.
Emerging engagement scholars will participate in seminars, with further optional opportunities for engagement available through Office of Community Engagement and Outreach (OCEO) initiatives. OCEO is committed to the principles of equity, shared governance, reciprocity, and mutual decision-making. Seminars are co-led by UTK faculty, staff, and community partners.
Guidelines and Applications Instructions
The deadline for applications is August 31, 2020 at 12:00 PM EST.
Who Should Apply
- Graduate students and junior faculty interested in community engagement and engaged scholarship
- Those involved or interested in research that contributes to their discipline while making a positive impact on external stakeholders.
Benefits of Participation
Increase knowledge, skills, and experience with community engagement.
- Gain practical strategies, tools, and resources to help you immediately.
- Increase interaction and networking with faculty and graduate students from various disciplines.
- Enhance your CV as you prepare for your career journey.
- Graduate students who are accepted into the academy and attend at least 5 of 6 sessions will receive a certificate.
Participation in the Community Engagement Academy will be limited and competitive. Successful applicants will be expected to come to CEA with an idea for an engagement project in mind. These projects will be discussed in the context of what is presented during.
Click Here to Apply
If you have any questions about the application process, contact Dr. Javiette Samuel, Assistant Vice Chancellor for Diversity and Engagement and Director of Community Engagement and Outreach at firstname.lastname@example.org or 865-974-4863.