Download the planning team’s report, The New Engagement: Exploring the Issues Across a Spectrum
Once you’ve had a chance to review the Planning Team’s report, please provide your feedback by completing this feedback form.
The Association for Public and Land-Grant Universities (APLU) believes it is time for public and land-grant universities to dramatically expand efforts of engagement with partners in the communities they serve—members of the public, community organizations, business and industry, state and local government, and others. Sixteen years into a new century, the Kellogg Commission report Returning to Our Roots: The Engaged Institution needs renewed attention. With vexing national and global problems creating immense economic, environmental, social, and psychological consequences, single entities cannot find and mobilize solutions. Instead, engagement with multiple partners is critical, and public universities can and should be conveners for such efforts.
Beginning in November of 2015, APLU convened a Planning Team to recommend a process for establishing and engaging APLU members and stakeholders in a Task Force on “The New Engagement” for public higher education—establishing engagement as a force for transformational change in our communities and institutions. The eventual Task Force will envision a broadly inclusive definition for university engagement and make recommendations for university actions to realize this vision.
The Planning Team was charged with preparing a plan (this document) for the convening of the eventual Task Force. The Planning Team was asked to complete four tasks in preparing the plan:
- Identify engagement-related issues to be examined and addressed by the Task Force on The New Engagement
- Develop a charge for the Task Force on The New Engagement
- Design a process and structure for the Task Force that will help it to:
- Create a bold new vision for engagement at our universities and where we should be heading, including goals and milestones
- Summarize the current state of university engagement and identify gaps
- Recommend strategies to meet identified goals and milestones
- Prepare background materials for use by the Task Force on the New Engagement